Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Butterfinger Cookies

I hope everyone had an enjoyable labor day weekend!

I mentioned making Butterfinger cookies to the guys in my life a little while ago and so when I pulled out a cookbook to look for a treat to make this past weekend I was greeted by a confused look and the sentence, "Why aren't you making Butterfinger cookies, I like butterfingers".  So, it is a little simple for what I wanted to do my last weekend of freedom before school consumes my life but alas, I caved and a delicious batch of cookies was made.  The timing also worked out perfectly because my cousin is leaves for Marine Boot Camp next week and I promised to bring a treat to share at a little get together we were having for him.

The recipe is pretty simple and the ingredients needed are:
1 1/4cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. butterfinger bars, chopped (roughly 3 regular sized bars)
1/2 tsp. vanilla


Preheat the oven to 350*F.

Next, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. (*Note-My cookies turned out a little salty because of the salt that is also in the candy bars so you could probably cut back on the salt to just a little pinch to nothing at all)

Mix the butter and sugar in another bowl.  When they are combined add the egg and vanilla and mix well.

Slowly, stir in the dry ingredients.  When that is finished, crush the candy into small pieces and begin stirring in the candy pieces.  (You can chill the dough for a half hour or so if you want, I didn't and the cookies turned out fine.)

Form teaspoon sized dough balls and put out on cookie sheets.  (The recipe I used says to put them on greased cookie sheets, I forgot to grease mine and the cookies still came off in one piece. )

Put the cookies in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.  And VOILA-candy cookies!

They taste very similar to peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies-however they are made with candy, so that makes it a little more fun.  They got good review from my cousins and I really enjoyed them.


I had to leave a note at my house to make sure that they were not all eaten up while I was away-miraculously the note worked, there are still 2 whole cookies left a little over 24 hours later! It was a happy surprise to come home from the first day of school and be able to eat a little treat that I had been looking forward to the entire day.  They also provided a slight delight last night as I was doing homework that a teacher had assigned to be turned in the first day of school and feeling like a bitter little bird while doing it.  The pleasure of food is an amazing comfort.


Side note:
Now that it is back to reality and eat/sleep/breathing speech, language, hearing sciences-I will be updating probably every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks as fits my schedule.

9 comments:

  1. I think everyone in the house is afraid to eat your cookies! ("Keeper of the Cookies")

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful. I'm surprised a note will keep your family away from them. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrific idea to make cookies with butterfinger - scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a total weakness for Butterfingers...and believe it or not was thinking about putting some into cookies or brownies the other day. Never did it, but now I totally want to again! These sound soooo addicting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butterfingers...these sound amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have to make these! I love butterfingers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirsten, the cookies sound pretty awesome. I hope I can find butterfinger bars here. ^_^ Thanks for sharing and hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Butterfingers candy bars, so I can imagine that the flavors and texture they add to a cookie is out of this world good!

    Do I dare hope that I have some candy left from Halloween "trick or treat" so I can make these?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea- Butterfinger cookies. I need to make these!

    ReplyDelete